Fatal Plane Crash Recorded From Inside The Plane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal Plane Crash Recorded From Inside The Plane

The plane crashed in 1984 but they didn't find the crash site until 1987. This is the 7 minute version. I'll post the shorter version in another post.

Here's what was written under the video:
    ▬ ▬ ▬
    If you're wondering why I posted the whole video and not just the accident, it's because if you watch the whole thing you can easily put yourself in the airplane and almost feel what they went through. It's definitely worth the 7 minutes of time to get a sense of what happened here and maybe learn something and fly safer as a result.

Link to the NTSB accident report: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/bri...

Cessna L-19 Bird Dog pilot leaves himself no escape route and crashes killing himself and his friend in the back. He stalls the airplane at least 3 times in the last few seconds of flight and each time it stalls he pulls the stick back. Lets see, I teach my students to add full power and decrease the angle of attack. Since this pilot was already at full power he had only one thing to do to gain airspeed. PUSH FORWARD on the stick. Also his bank angle was about 60 degrees in the last portion of the turn. Stall speed, as indicated on the airspeed indicator, increases with bank angle. This is because in a turn, to maintain altitude, the angle of attack has to be increased by pulling the stick back. The reason for this is the plane loses some vertical component of lift, the amount depends on the bank angle. 60 degrees of bank requires the wing to produce twice the lift, to maintain altitude, as that needed to fly straight and level. Ie: gross weight is say 2300 lbs. 60 degrees of bank means the wing has to produce 4600 lbs. of lift just to maintain altitude, and that assumes the tail is not producing a down force which is almost never the case. Some airspeed is also lost to do this and if you're already at full power then you need to determine if you can push the nose down to maintain airspeed. In this case the pilot was at about 10,000 ft MSL but only a few hundred feet AGL. He had no altitude to spare to accomplish this safely at the bank angle he chose. I believe he could have made the turn to the left and less bank and came out of this terrible situation alive.
    Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. - Samuel Johnson

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Now my question. He had the whole sky why in the name of all that is holy did he corner himself by turning into a mountain he couldn't climb over? He could have turn any other direction and he would have been home for supper. In the long version he seemed relaxed and was enjoying the view and the destruction of tree by the pine beetles. I guess being relaxed doesn't always equate to being competent.

Short Version:

Comment

You never ever fly up a canyon in the mountains without enough room to turn around.
      Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

OR
        YOU NEVER fly into a canyon without ENOUGH AIRPLANE..
        One of the reasons I used to fly higher than the average GA was it was less crowded, better visibility, and MORE FUDGE FACTOR if things went poorly.

I will admit to tree top clipping at times running valleys and such BUT it was at such velocity I could literally gain altitude before I lost flight capability and had to look for someplace to land. You do not float along 100feet AGL at almost stall speed. It is a great way to get killed... as the video displayed.
        IF he had been up to 2000ft AGL he probably could have made it to a soft spot or a lake to drop in on but when you only have a hundred feet or so of space beneath you when it goes sideways... lets just say, your options are greatly limited.

I never had an engine out... but I practiced them all the time and I found having a LOT of air under the plane worked much better than having close ground under the plane.
        AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
        God carries a 1911.
        Just another day towards 20...

Comment

So either way we have to mark this up to pilot error? Bet Ron, that guy in the back, was wishing he'd picked a better pilot to buddy up with.

Comment

Pilot ignorance.
            Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

So in that situation what should have been done? I am guessing he saw there was no place to land so turned trying to find a spot.
              Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
              Patrick Henry

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid

Comment

Working...
              X