Harassing Management again today.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harassing Management again today.

I got a 'phone call about 8:30 this morning. "Can you come up here? We need to go over your Review."

My response: "Ya' going to fire me?"

"No."

"Well, then, I guess that about covers it, since you can't give me a pay raise." (They can't. I'm at the top step of the top Hourly pay grade.)

"Just get up here." Note that the man knows I'm a practicing Smart-Ass, and will occasionally keep in mind that I don't get offended having it returned.

So up there I go. We proceed to go through the review. After going over all 10 or so categories of my performance, we get to the "Attendance and Puncuality" part. And, once more, I have question their premise. I'm rated "meets expectations".

I pointed at it and said "Meets expectations? What's up with that?"

"You did OK."

"Please. I have perfect attendance for the last two years running. No missed days, never late, never left early. If you can tell me how I improve on that, I'll accept "Meets expectations." If I can't improve on it, it should Exceed expectations, should it not?"

This is about the fifth or sixth time I've had to have that particular discussion with a manager over that part of my review. Granted, at this stage of the game I really don't care, but it makes them think I'm paying attention and actually take it seriously.
    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

You must really enjoy your job or you have a higher threshold for dealing with low IQ suits than I do.
    Last edited by noname762; July 13th, 2018, 04:09. Reason: good question
    Member of American Legion since 2014.
    Picked up New Trick 2 day 3.15.18 w/screen brightness. And yes I do have Ctrl Alt Delete.

Comment

Perhaps it just pays well?
      When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Comment

I couldn't hack a gig where I'm constantly being watched, reviewed, and judged. Either you get the work done or you don't. I don't need to be called in an given grades like I'm back in elementary school.
        Media vita in morte sumus

Comment

Originally posted by flashguy View Post
          It does that, for this area. I could literally double my income if I was willing to live in Michigan, Ohio, or New England, but I don't want to, and my cost of living would double anyway, with housing prices what they are up there, so it's a wash that way.

Column B is that they aren't that hard to get along with. Most of them have no idea what I'm actually doing anyway, and there isn't anyone else here who could replace me. I'm pretty much running the operation on this side of the building by default, and they leave me alone and let me do whatever I want most days. When you consider how often I manage to float through here on the average work day, it's fairly clear I'm not being oppressed realy severely.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by flashguy View Post
            NO job I ever worked paid so well that they could call me on my day off and request my presence on MY DAY OFF.
            Picked up New Trick 2 day 3.15.18 w/screen brightness. And yes I do have Ctrl Alt Delete.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Devil View Post
              I couldn't hack a gig where I'm constantly being watched, reviewed, and judged. Either you get the work done or you don't. I don't need to be called in an given grades like I'm back in elementary school.
              Me neither. My old job I always refer to as the Park was exactly how you put it Wood. EXACTLY.

Comment

One boss tried that with me. It did NOT go well when I told him, "You obviously have me confused with someone that gives a .......ah..........oh yea.....a FORNACATION!". LOL

jefferson101, bless you Brother for being able to put up with it. Since I hit 65 my wife says my mouth has lost its filter. I ask Prayers for her as I am truly a burden she has to put up with.

Comment

WE HAD work review every year. They were almost funny. FOR knowing the job and job performance etc etc I always had high marks(heck, I had our affirmative action promotions always asking me what to do and they outranked me.) but then it got to the "Does not play well with others" section and there the grades were not so great. I used to ask about WHY those grades... there would be looks all around the desk and then someone would mumble some general incoherent statement and then someone would move the topic on to something else.

I was written up for insubordination so many times I lost count, but they never even made it to a hearing stage. Someone would look over the incident again under calmer circumstances and go"We don't want to do this." I was a senior FTO and I was Union head and one of the higher seniority officers. I was pretty hard to touch even if I ever did screw up.
                  AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
                  God carries a 1911.
                  Just another day towards 20...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk45 View Post
                    jefferson101, bless you Brother for being able to put up with it. Since I hit 65 my wife says my mouth has lost its filter. I ask Prayers for her as I am truly a burden she has to put up with.
                    My filters have pretty much shut down also. I'm not generally malicious, other than being a sarcastic wiseazz, but I make no effort to filter it out. The saving grace of it all, at this point, is that I don't actively dislike the folks I work for, and genuinely like some of them. Decent people, so I try to avoid doing or saying anything that would get them into problems with their superiors. Usually.....

I should ask for Prayers for anyone I work with, because they all get their share of the caustics every now and again.

Yeah, some of it with me is financial. As long as I keep working I get my Social Security dumped into my Savings account, and live really nicely on what I take in from work. I also get Medical for my wife for way less than I'd pay for it if I had to buy it. I get it for me, too, and it's costing me around $700/month for what I'm carrying on us, but I couldn't buy her a policy for much less, and would have to pay for a Medicare Supplemental for myself. Plus I keep pumping the 401k up. Also, I can buy myself a new firearm every couple of months at a minimum.

It gives me a reason to get up and get moving in the mornings, and a reason not to put a shot of Bourbon in my 0600 Coffee. It's all good. When it's not, I'll stop going in. I'm looking at another 18 months to two years right now, but if I keep feeling as well as I do now? Maybe three more years. Those Social Security checks in the Savings account are nice padding for somewhere down the road, when I might need a few extra bucks.

Hey. I may want a new car when I'm 70 or so. It'd be nice to have the money for it in hand without having to pay taxes on a wad out of the 401k to get it, now wouldn't it?

Heh.

Comment

If I was half as smart as the cats in this thread I might even still be working at the Park.

It's Saturday Night here at NoName Central. My sister bless her heart has the same mouth and attitude as me. Well almost. I talked 2 her today. Everthang was marvelous so I failed to mention to her not to f up as she's REAL CLOSE 2 her 20yr and a pension before she starts drawing SS. I'd call her now but she's likely at work. Not her regular job but a PT job.

I'm on my 4th shot and a chaser so I think I'll just mosey on down the trail..and....see .........ya'll later.

Comment

Originally posted by noname762 View Post

NO job I ever worked paid so well that they could call me on my day off and request my presence on MY DAY OFF.
                        Our Department used to do that with us but it got to expensive for them. It paid minimum 3 hours over time. I got called in one time on my day to Internal Affairs on my day for an "extremely sensitive and i,important issue". Ok no big deal to me since I was going right by there anyway but I didn't tell them that. I get there and discover what the issue is. A woman had gotten arrested who's last name was not what she wanted to be known by. She insisted that I call her by her chosen Indian name. (She wasn't Indian) I told her that I had to call her by her legal name. I was legally required to. Yeah, she was a Fruit Loop. So she went to Internal Affairs when she got out of jail and complained about me. She told them that "he insisted on calling me Beaver". The investigator hands me a copy of her report. I looked it over. Yup, her legal name was at the top plainer than day. So and So Beaver. Hmmm. What's the problem I say? The investigator goes ballistic. "You can't call her Beaver. That's a sexist term used by some rednecks to described woman" Yup, I say. I called her Beaver but she kept getting angry at me. The investigator is practically foaming at the mouth and shouting at me. "Oh my God! You're admitting it?" Yup, I say. "It's her legal name. See? It says so right here on the top of her report. You know..The report that you had her fill out? Right here. See?" He looks and sees that he screwed up. I grinned at him and then my watch. I told him that I was going right by here anyway and it was only five minutes out of my way to come in and explain it to him but hey! Thanks for the 3 hours overtime pay. After that, they took to just calling me at home on my day off and asking questions over the phone. They quit that after I started adding one hour to my time sheet for every time they called. Yeah, that was in the rule books too. I guess they never read that! Heh heh!

Comment

ANYTIME they bothered us at home or anywhere when you were not working it was an automatic 2hrs, even for a 1 minute phone call.
                          At one time they set in play that ANYTIME someone did anything involving a firearm, discharge, display, or anything else in a forum not an official on duty situation you had to immediately report it to the PD. I told them 30 seconds after they issued the paperwork it would not work. (about 75% of the dept were hunters)
                          SO
                          I got to my place up north, saw a porcupine and shot it in my back yard. I called in to report it. The night shift commander started laughing his butt off. He was smarter than the average command officer and he also knew it wasn't going to work. I told him to mark me down for 2hrs OT.
                          It was denied, the claim was , "Well, we didn't mean for things like that." My response, "THen write it that way and not so broadly general that you could ignore one thing then screw someone over later saying but we did mean for that. Otherwise I want my 2 hours or I file the grievance." Then other cops heard what I was doing and they called in if they were in a gunshop and asked to see a gun, because they were handling a firearm in a public place in a nonplolce sanctioned event. It rolled into a big snowball until 3 days later they rescinded the General Order and rewrote it with specificity that took out their room to punish folks they didn't like.
                          Now you know why I was always marked "Does not play well with others." (BIG grinny winking smiley face)
                          AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
                          God carries a 1911.
                          Just another day towards 20...

Comment

We had a Lieutenant that was assigned to the Main Jail because he was to stupid to be assigned anyplace there were firearms. (No weapons allowed inside the Jail) He came up with some real doozies! One of his best ones was his key rule. He came up with a new rule and put it in writing that any person who drops his keys in the hallways will be given three days off with pay. Because of that, there were Transport Officers, Animal Control officers, City cops, Deputies, civilian employees, etc. etc. throwing their keys down the hallways. They were like a frigging combat zone there for a couple of days until he fixed it. Keys flying all over the place and then people shouting "I dropped my keys. Where do I sign up for my three day vacation with pay?" Thing was that apparently it wasn't just a typo. He specifically discussed his new order at the shift briefings and said the same thing there. Heh heh.

Comment

Originally posted by noname762
                              NO job I ever worked paid me so well they could call me on my DAY OFF and request I come in on MY DAY OFF.
                              Originally posted by Mac's! View Post

Our Department used to do that with us but it got to expensive for them. It paid minimum 3 hours over time. I got called in one time on my day to Internal Affairs on my day for an "extremely sensitive and i,important issue". Ok no big deal to me since I was going right by there anyway but I didn't tell them that. I get there and discover what the issue is. A woman had gotten arrested who's last name was not what she wanted to be known by. She insisted that I call her by her chosen Indian name. (She wasn't Indian) I told her that I had to call her by her legal name. I was legally required to. Yeah, she was a Fruit Loop. So she went to Internal Affairs when she got out of jail and complained about me. She told them that "he insisted on calling me Beaver". The investigator hands me a copy of her report. I looked it over. Yup, her legal name was at the top plainer than day. So and So Beaver. Hmmm. What's the problem I say? The investigator goes ballistic. "You can't call her Beaver. That's a sexist term used by some Rednecks to described woman" Yup, I say. I called her Beaver but she kept getting angry at me. The investigator is practically foaming at the mouth and shouting at me. "Oh my God! You're admitting it?" Yup, I say. "It's her legal name. See? It says so right here on the top of her report. You know..The report that you had her fill out? Right here. See?" He looks and sees that he screwed up. I grinned at him and then my watch. I told him that I was going right by here anyway and it was only five minutes out of my way to come in and explain it to him but hey! Thanks for the 3 hours overtime pay. After that, they took to just calling me at home on my day off and asking questions over the phone. They quit that after I started adding one hour to my time sheet for every time they called. Yeah, that was in the rule books too. I guess they never read that! Heh heh!
                              When I worked at the Dairy we were a union shop after I'd been there around 4yr. Only I don't know of anyone that ever got their OT in the manner in which we speak. Management at the Dairy well they were ALL suits and I don't know about you guys but I basically HATE SUITS. The Park was the same way. OK I'm getting a tad pissed off (0900) so I'll just say I got a big kick out of what Mac's said and LC too and again what Mac's said about your ignoramus LT. What I'd like to know is how does an idiot around loaded guns make SGT let alone LT?? But wait till you've had a couple shots Mac. I ain't in no hurry I'm retired.

Just 4 you LawCop I didn't get along too well with some of the folks that had campsites at the Park either. Members ALWAYS would break sumpin and would want it fixed right away and for FREE. Went out on more of those jobs than I care to remember. One in particular was a real doozie. Each site had 30amp power total sites around 2,000. They plugged their new 5th whl into adapter and plugged in. Turned on everything at once and fried their 50A adapter. Then came back with bigger adapter and repeated and smoked 75A adapter AND BOX. Then they called Maint. Long story short I had to deal w/it. I could smell burnt up box 30' away as I tiptoed all over kid toys and refuse to get to their box. Opened breaker box and ALL the wires inside were fused together and buss bar was half melted. Their 75A adapter was WASTED. I told them the entire box needed replacing and could they sign this form so I could start the repairs? They said no. So I left.

Usually we'd have 2 or 3 rebuilt boxes ready to go. Murphy had been by so we were OUT of boxes. Half hour later THOSE PEOPLE called back and gave verbal permission on the phone. I was new to working on power at that time. I just made myself a VFW R&R and Coke. Dennis our Korean War UDT Vet helped me build a new box. By quitting time those people had power. Parts list alone for this job: Box w/Lid about 4"deep by 8"wide by 10"high plus Brand New gut parts (buss bar 2 breakers 30A Pigtail 15A outlet), 10' 10-2wire, 1 Splice Kit 1 new 5' TP. Plus labor for 2 Maintenance guys me and Dennis about 8 or 9 hours total. Parts labor and sales tax these folks would have gotten reamed. Instead they paid for a product Maintenance called a Breaker Panel Rebuild. I think it was $54.50 at that time (2008) and included labor.

On 2 occasions I was told to show a weasel how to do an EZ job. I show him and hand him my bar. He drops my bar and nibbled away at it like a girl with a round point shovel and made NO HEAD WAY. Mike worked by himself well. He had BS down to a science. He was worthless by my standards and I told the Boss same in this instance. Never had to work w/him again.

Brand new worker his first day. Boss puts new kid (Mr. 18y oldHS grad) on my job running power splitter UNDER COVER. It's kinda raining just drizzlin'. I find sumpin else to do. Check on kid later. He's griping and tells me why. I tell him he's got one of the REAL EZ jobs and all he can do is whine. I'd had enuf of this punk by that point and told him so. Lunch time. He goes to eat. I go elsewhere and I eat.

Punk NEVER came back after lunch. No call no show for next 3 days. He's done. No one missed him.

I just finished my drink. That was a doozie. I'm a lot more relaxed now.

I think I'll hit YT.

Comment

Working...
                              X