X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When A Firetruck Isn't Available...

...A Septic Tank Truck Will Work
    Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. - Samuel Johnson

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.

If he did that in the US, the EPA would bill him half a million for the hazardous waste cleanup, and then fine him a quarter-million bucks for polluting the environment, don't you know.
    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

My old fire department was a pioneer in the use of Class-A Foam for structure fires - the serial number on our foam injector apparatus was 007, which I thought was kind of cool. This system took plain old water, injected what was basically detergent into it at a tightly-controlled ratio (0.006%), agitated the mixture by running it through a piece of pipe with a bunch of finger in it, then injected high-pressure compressed air into the result. What came out of the nozzle was a foam that was absolutely fantastic for fighting structure fires.

This is a link to a newer-generation system than what we started with: https://www.fireapparatusmagazine.co...am-system.html

This stuff was invented to be used to fight these big wild fires out west, and was developed by a guy named Dominic Colletti. He worked for Hale Fire Pump company at the time, and the system was so new at the time that he actually visited our fire department to train us on the system.

This stuff used only 1/10th of the water to extinguish a fire. The way plain water extinguishes a fire is by the water, when introduced into a heated compartment and/or applied to a heated surface (In a structure fire it is common to have at atmosphere of 600 - 1000 degrees F) flashes to steam. The act of making the water go through the change of state from a liquid to a vapor absorbs a huge amount of BTUs - basically this sucks the heat out of the fire and breaks the chain reaction that is taking place.

However, when using just a plain water stream to attack the fire, 90% of the water is wasted - it runs off of the walls and ceiling and just causes water damage.

With the Class-A foam system it is still the water that puts out the fire, just like I explained above. The difference is that the water is contained on the surface of the soap bubbles, and there's a secondary effect in that the detergent is a surfactant - it reduces the surface tension of the water which allows it to soak in to the surfaces it is applied to. And by applying the water as layers of bubbles, the water sticks to the surfaces and doesn't run off.

(I happened to be on a fire scene once investigating to determine cause and origin. The investigator for the insurance company happened to show up. He walked in and introduced himself, then got a funny look on his face standing in the middle of the burned out bedroom, and said "The carpet isn't even wet! How did you guys do that?)

In conclusion, if my house ever catches fire, I would rather the fire department used a Class-A Foam system than what comes out of the sewage-pumping truck.
      Freedom Of Speech does not include freedom from consequences.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
        If he did that in the US, the EPA would bill him half a million for the hazardous waste cleanup, and then fine him a quarter-million bucks for polluting the environment, don't you know.
        Then the right thing to do to GET EVEN would be to drive a septic tank truck INTO EPA HQ, that is drive right through the front doors up to the Information desk jump out and hose the clever employee who landed that job and charge the line having eased open the BLUE water dye line and hose down Mister Info and let that poor schmuck know what you think of the EPA. [/b] Or employ an old friend who hates the US Govmint as most here do and offer him the job of driving a YUGE front end loader through the front doors of the EPA yadda yadda yadda.

Sounds like I'm off my meds today dont it?
        Member of American Legion since 2014.
        Picked up New Trick 2 day 3.15.18 w/screen brightness. And yes I do have Ctrl Alt Delete.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief351 View Post
          My old fire department was a pioneer in the use of Class-A Foam for structure fires - the serial number on our foam injector apparatus was 007, which I thought was kind of cool. This system took plain old water, injected what was basically detergent into it at a tightly-controlled ratio (0.006%), agitated the mixture by running it through a piece of pipe with a bunch of finger in it, then injected high-pressure compressed air into the result. What came out of the nozzle was a foam that was absolutely fantastic for fighting structure fires.

This is a link to a newer-generation system than what we started with: https://www.fireapparatusmagazine.co...am-system.html

This stuff was invented to be used to fight these big wild fires out west, and was developed by a guy named Dominic Colletti. He worked for Hale Fire Pump company at the time, and the system was so new at the time that he actually visited our fire department to train us on the system.

This stuff used only 1/10th of the water to extinguish a fire. The way plain water extinguishes a fire is by the water, when introduced into a heated compartment and/or applied to a heated surface (In a structure fire it is common to have at atmosphere of 600 - 1000 degrees F) flashes to steam. The act of making the water go through the change of state from a liquid to a vapor absorbs a huge amount of BTUs - basically this sucks the heat out of the fire and breaks the chain reaction that is taking place.

However, when using just a plain water stream to attack the fire, 90% of the water is wasted - it runs off of the walls and ceiling and just causes water damage.

With the Class-A foam system it is still the water that puts out the fire, just like I explained above. The difference is that the water is contained on the surface of the soap bubbles, and there's a secondary effect in that the detergent is a surfactant - it reduces the surface tension of the water which allows it to soak in to the surfaces it is applied to. And by applying the water as layers of bubbles, the water sticks to the surfaces and doesn't run off.

(I happened to be on a fire scene once investigating to determine cause and origin. The investigator for the insurance company happened to show up. He walked in and introduced himself, then got a funny look on his face standing in the middle of the burned out bedroom, and said "The carpet isn't even wet! How did you guys do that?)

In conclusion, if my house ever catches fire, I would rather the fire department used a Class-A Foam system than what comes out of the sewage-pumping truck.
          All this time you been a member I wondered why you chose your handle here.

Now I know.
          Member of American Legion since 2014.
          Picked up New Trick 2 day 3.15.18 w/screen brightness. And yes I do have Ctrl Alt Delete.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
            Yep. Spot on!

Comment

I wonder who gave the OK for that?

The fire would have done less damage than dosing the area is human waste. How long will the HAZMAT teams be out cleaning up the street now?

Media vita in morte sumus

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Devil View Post
                I wonder who gave the OK for that?

The fire would have done less damage than dosing the area is human waste. How long will the HAZMAT teams be out cleaning up the street now?
                I'm thinking that was an economic decision. Now they will have to call pest control to come out and spray for flies. Win..Win!

Comment

Now they will have to burn the truck to get the smell out.
                  Guido

Comment

Working...
                  X