Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Pistols and Revolvers

Old February 4th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Executive Member

Question Opinions on the CZ-75 Compact?

I was looking at the CZ-75 Compact pistol in 9mm. I saw a nickel version in a store locally. It has a 3" barrel and 14 shot capacity. I prefer an all steel pistol, if possible. I take it the CZ-75 Compact is all steel? It was pretty heavy. The salesman was not sure if it had a steel or alloy frame. I looked at the CZ website and they make similar pistols in both steel and alloy. It looked like the alloy version has a different name, P01 or something similar. Does this mean that a CZ-75 or CZ-75 Compact is an all steel gun, exclusively?

Bruce

Zombies man...they creep me out. - Dennis Hopper
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Executive Member

Default Re: Opinions on the CZ-75 Compact?

I love CZ pistols,I have the P01,CZ 97,CZ85 Combat & a CZ 52.I'm sure I'll add another to the collection sometime this year,probably the SP01.CZ makes a superior product.I could be wrong but ask to see the box,I think it should say steel or ally on the original box.Either way if you can get it for a good price I think that you will be happy.
Old February 14th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

hi Bruce, the CZ75 Compact is all steel and predates both the PCR and the PO-1 which are both alloy framed. I had a PCR about 10-11 years ago. PCR was a good shooter, ergonomic and it was wider than the standard 75B. The full size CZ75 is all steel with the exception of one of their newer variants which has a polymer frame.
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Executive Member

The steel 75's are always going to be leet.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old February 19th, 2012, 02:15 PM

I was at the Gun warehouse in Lexington yesterday. They had a used one with 3 magazines for $409
I looked really nice. I just did not need another 9mm.
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Executive Member

For concealed carry, IWB usually, I have not found that simply chopping barrels and shortening grip frame length to help all that much. Case in point, I can hide a Glock 19 just as easily as I can a Glock 26. Just my .002. Other than this, I can't see anything wrong with any CZ, they are really great pistols.

Careful who you kick on your way up, they'll kick you twice on your way down!
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Executive Member

All Steel, excellent quality. Once upon a time they were underpriced so people were not taking them very seriously, but now they tend to go full price. $409 for a used one would have been a bit steep years ago but not entirely out of line today.

Some grips are better than others on those, so that can change. The grips and maybe an ambi safety are about the only customization appropriate for one of those guns since they are pretty decent quality to begin with.

One thing you will notice about the CZ 75 and later pistols is how smooth the action and moving parts seem to function. That is part of the manufacturing process. The pistols are built, then while still rough and before the final finish goes on, the Czechs save on hand fitting by putting the guns in a mechanical device which dry functions the gun through its entire cycle (racking the slide, pulling the trigger, ect) to basically put the pistol through a break-in period but without the stress or wear on the barrel. They then check the parts and do the final finish on the gun. Thus any "new in the box" CZ pistol has apparently been dry fired a couple thousand times prior to the final finish. That is also why older models appear to be either blued or parkerized, then later painted with an epoxy.
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:29 AM
Executive Member

I remember a guy that spent a fortune getting an original com-bloc CZ 75 brought over here, guess he never thought they'd ever be commonly available. I have the same problem with CZ's that I have with the Witness series-when the trigger is full forward, my finger isn't quite long enough.

Careful who you kick on your way up, they'll kick you twice on your way down!
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:50 AM
ESSONE

On the trigger issue, CZ is now offering a new recurve trigger which reduces the long reach. All of the new CZ 75B and 85B guns come with it now. I would assume the compact guns do too, but a call to CZ-USA would be a good idea to comfirm this. There is also a CZ 85 Combat trigger that is recurved to make the reach shorter. I put this one in my 2009 '85B and it is a notable improvement over the reach in my 1991 CZ 85.

If you're going to change out the trigger, be aware that CZ has improved both the return spring (to cure a breakage problem,) and the trigger pin, so you might as well do them too if you decide to change the trigger. Cost is minimal.

There is a comprehensive seven part article on the differences between the "Pre B" CZ 75/85 and the newer "B" series guns. You will be surprised at how different the two guns are. Parts interchangeability is reduced tremendously.

It's at http://guntalkers.blogspot.com/ Just scroll down do the article named: "The Evolution of the CZ 85."

ESSONE

Last edited by ESSONE; March 19th, 2012 at 10:44 AM.